The Dutch Elasmobranch Society (Nederlandse Elasmobranchen Vereniging, NEV) has as its primary purpose: to carry out, facilitate and encourage scientific research sharks and rays and in this way add to the knowledge base necessary for (inter) national policy, management and conservation of cartilaginous fish. We try to achieve this by:
- Designing, conducting and supervising research on cartilaginous fish
- Advocate for sustainable management of cartilaginous fish populations, sustainable fisheries and protecting marine wildlife and sensitive habitats at both a national and international level
- Creating awareness about elasmobranch and their environment
- Advise on shark and ray research, policy and management.
- Bring togethers scientist, policy makers and conservationist in dialogue and research efforts